Posted by Jim Hoft
But that didn’t divert President Obama from his mission of appeasement.
President Obama signaled Congress this week that he is prepared to share U.S. missile defense secrets with Russia.
In the president’s signing statement issued Saturday in passing into law the fiscal 2012 defense authorization bill, Mr. Obama said restrictions aimed at protecting top-secret technical data on U.S. Standard Missile-3 velocity burnout parameters might impinge on his constitutional foreign policy authority.
As first disclosed in this space several weeks ago, U.S. officials are planning to provide Moscow with the SM-3 data, despite reservations from security officials who say that doing so could compromise the effectiveness of the system by allowing Russian weapons technicians to counter the missile. The weapons are considered some of the most effective high-speed interceptors in the U.S. missile defense arsenal.
Hat Tip Maria
For the record… Obama met secretly with Gorbachev in March 2009 where they discussed ways of reducing their countries’ respective nuclear arsenals.
Hat Tip Chris
- TREASON, anyone? Barack Obama signaled Congress this week that he is prepared to share U.S. missile defense secrets with Russia. (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)
- The Obama presidency, it just gets worse, and worse, and………….. (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Obama works to destroy America’s military – Tea Party Nation (gds44.wordpress.com)
- Is Obama a Traitor? (loopyloo305.com)
- Russia may target U.S. missile defense sites (marketwatch.com)
- Obama’s Signature Hypocrisy (thedailybeast.com)
- Iranian Missile Test Kills 20-plus Iranians; Russia Rattles Its Nuclear Saber WRT U.S. Missile Defense (nationalspacestudiescenter.wordpress.com)
MOSCOW | Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:37am EST
(Reuters) – An oil drilling rig with 67 crew on board capsized and sank off the Russian Far East island of Sakhalin when it ran into a storm while being towed, and 51 of the crew were unaccounted for, Russian news agencies reported on Sunday.
Fourteen crew members were rescued alive from the ‘Kolskaya’ jack-up rig, operated by Russian exploration company Arktikmorneftegazrazvedka, two bodies were recovered and the rest of the crew were missing.
“According to reports from the scene of the rescue operation, the Kolskaya platform has sunk completely,” the local head of the Emergencies Ministry, Taimuraz Kasayev, told a news briefing in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.
Agencies quoted officials as saying the rig capsized at about 0200 GMT on Sunday around 200 km (125 miles) off the coast of Sakhalin as it was being towed from the eastern peninsula of Kamchatka.
It appeared that the vessel had not been doing drilling work, so no oil spill was likely. The rig’s destination was not immediately clear.
While less serious that BP’s Macondo disaster, when a blowout caused oil to spew for months into the Gulf of Mexico, the fatal accident will deal a blow to Russia‘s efforts to step up offshore oil and gas exploration.
Russia has two major offshore projects that are already producing oil off Sakhalin – Sakhalin-1, operated by Exxonmobil and Sakhalin-2, in which state-controlled gas export monopoly Gazprom has a controlling stake.
State-controlled Rosneft this year reached a major deal with Exxon to explore for oil and gas in the Arctic Kara Sea.
(Reporting by Douglas Busvine; editing by Tim Pearce)
- Russian drilling rig sinks off Sakhalin, 51 missing – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Russian Oil-Drilling Rig Sinks: Two Dead, 51 Missing (ibtimes.com)
- Oil-drilling rig with 76 aboard overturns in Russia’s Far East (worldnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Russia oil rig capsizes under tow (bbc.co.uk)
- You: Four killed in Russian oil rig collapse (guardian.co.uk)
- India seeks stake in Sakhalin-3 (thehindu.com)
Dec. 6, 2011, 10:44 AM by Joe Weisenthal
Today’s geopolitical hotspot?
- Russian election: Thousands call for an end to Putin’s rule in wake of vote (news.nationalpost.com)
- CHART OF THE DAY: The Russian Market Is Getting Reduced To Rubble Today (businessinsider.com)
- Russian opposition members arrested as troops police Moscow after protest over vote ‘rigging’ (news.nationalpost.com)
- Russia deploys troops after anti-Putin rally (windsorstar.com)
- Putin’s party maintains majority, but election marred by allegations of vote manipulation (news.nationalpost.com)
- Thousands protests against Putin after Russia vote (trust.org)
- Russia’s Putin: Less party support inevitable (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
UAE based company specializing in high-end towed streamer data acquisition, Polarcus Limited, has signed a Letter of Intent with an undisclosed client for a 3D seismic acquisition project offshore West Africa.
The project, to be acquired by ULSTEIN SX124 design vessel, Polarcus Nadia, will start this month and is expected to run for approximately 30 days.
Delivered in 2009 Polarcus Nadia is an ultra-modern 12 streamer 3D/4D seismic vessel. Built to the ULSTEIN SX124 design and incorporating the innovative ULSTEIN X-BOW® hull, this vessel combines the latest developments in maritime systems with the most advanced seismic technology commercially available. The vessel is also amongst the most environmentally sound seismic vessels in the market with diesel-electric propulsion, high specification catalytic convertors, double hull, and advanced bilge water cleaning system. This vessel complies with the stringent DNV CLEAN DESIGN notation.
- Polarcus Alima: First Seismic Vessel to Pass along Northern Sea Route (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Russia: Putin Becomes Guardian of Seismic Vessel Vyacheslav Tikhonov (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ukraine: Zaliv Launches Ulstein Design PSV Hull (mb50.wordpress.com)
- The Netherlands: Norwind Installer and Ulstein Join Forces on New Offshore Wind Foundation Installation Vessel (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: Bourbon Offshore Takes Delivery of Ulstein PX105 Design PSV (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ukraine: JSC Shipyard Zaliv Completes SX 134 Shipbuilding Project for Ulstein (mb50.wordpress.com)
Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov
No official confirmation or denial of the report was immediately available. The report quotes the source as saying Russia had supplied to Syria Yakhont supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles, as part of Bastion mobile coastal missile systems.
The report does not say when the deliveries took place or how many missiles have been delivered, but says the contract was worth around $300 million.
It says Russia believes the weapons will allow Syria to protect its entire coast from a potential seaborne attack.
The report quotes Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov as saying in February that Moscow intended to fulfill the contract, despite opposition to the deal from Israel and its ally the United States.
The United Nations says that more than 4,000 people have been killed since protests against Syrian ruler Bashar al-Assad erupted in mid-March, and that the conflict has now evolved into a “civil war.”
Russia, a traditional ally of the Syrian regime, has helped block moves for UN sanctions targeting Syria over the bloodshed.
compiled from agency reports