The shipbuilding giant Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani S.p.A. and NLI, a Norwegian total supplier to oil & gas business, announce today the signing of a collaboration agreement, supporting the aim to penetrating the Mobile Drilling Units construction market.
This agreement includes the development of an innovative high quality drilling tower. For NLI the partnership is a milestone. In 1974 they delivered the first derrick to the Norwegian offshore industry. Most recently they have developed a drill tower solution new to the global market. With this Italian-Norwegian partnership NLI sees a great opportunity to reach out with their innovative solutions.
From now on the parties will include each other when approaching the market and present their projects to the various contractors and operators / oil companies.
The agreement follows the recent creation of the new Fincantieri Offshore Business Unit, dedicated to the commercialization and production of high valued offshore vessels such as Drill ships, Semisubmersibles Drilling Rigs, Pipe Layers, Construction Vessels and Non Standard Supply Vessels.
The Fincantieri Offshore value proposition is based on the offer of new generation turn-key vessels, tailor made to meet specific client requirements.
Mr. Sigve Barvik, Marketing Director of NLI commented: “We now have a yard, with financial power and world class know-how, which is prepared to support the potential of our drilling tower. Fincantieri’s European deep-water drilling initiative is unique and will allow to fully develop a drilling tower with superior performance, efficiency, eco friendliness, and safety for the personnel”.
Commenting on the agreement, Mr. Giuseppe Coronella, EVP Fincantieri Offshore Business Unit said: ”We are very motivated to start this joint development process with a company delivering quality drilling and topsides engineering solutions. this will strengthen the capability of the established Fincantieri’s drilling supply chain, the “Polo Offshore”.
Read more about NLI’s innovative “Northern Light” derrick.
- Norway: Lundin to Drill 12 Wells with Island Innovator Rig (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Statoil Charters Light Well Intervention Vessels to Increase Recovery (mb50.wordpress.com)
- STX OSV to Build Two OSCVs for Siem Offshore (Norway) (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: STX OSV Strengthens Specialist Technology with New Acquisitions (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Diamond Offshore Orders New Drillship in South Korea (mb50.wordpress.com)
With the development of the ‘Northern Light’ drilling derrick an alternative solution is provided based on proven and well known industry technologies to contractors and shipyards worldwide. The fully integrated derrick includes the drillfloor and substructure and can be transported, delivered and installed as one turnkey unit either from a shipyard or from NLI’s construction yard.
The derrick consists of a box beam structure with a collapsible/retractable top part to pass bridges. Pipes, cables and elevator all run inside the derrick legs, allowing for a sheltered environment, reduced maintenance costs and increased safety. As such, the derrick is very suitable to be upgraded for arctic operations.
This new derrick design uses conventional drilling equipment readily available in the market, but because of its lay-out offers a clean drillfloor and much more operational flexibility as three operations can be simultaneously performed. This is achieved by having the BOP and riser string handling outside of the derrick as is the case for X’mas tree deployment. Stand / casing building is performed within the derrick.
Integrated derrick offers clean drill floor and advanced safety and maintenance
- Norway: Bourbon Offshore Takes Delivery of Ulstein PX105 Design PSV (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ulstein SOC 5000 Vessel Design Wins Nomination for Prestigious Award in The Netherlands (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ukraine: JSC Shipyard Zaliv Completes SX 134 Shipbuilding Project for Ulstein (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ulstein Heavy Lift Design nominated for prestigious Dutch Innovation Award (gcaptain.com)