These days, owning a yacht is NBD. Like how McDonald’s supersized is now large, a mega-yacht is a super-yacht and a super-yacht is now a regular yacht. So what can these poor billionaires do to actually impress their friends? Buy one of these billion dollar themed mega-yachts of course! Yacht Island Design has designed two themed mega-yachts. The first is “The Streets of Monaco” based on the Principality of Monaco on the French Riviera. The second is modeled after a tropical island paradise.
For those not familiar with Monaco, it’s essentially the most “balling-est place on earth”. A popular tax haven, it is the top vacation spot for the world’s richest. It’s located on the beautiful French Riviera and is home of the Monaco Grand Prix and the famous Mote Carlo Casino. It’s only one square mile big and has the highest GDP in the world, with 2000+ millionaires and 5 billionaires as permanent residents. It has a monarchy with Prince Albert II as head of state. I had the chance to visit a few years back and I can confirm the Bentley Continental GT is their equivalent of a Honda Civic.
So for any billionaires who want to take a slice of Monaco with them, this 500 foot design is just what they need. It’s built on a much wider platform than your run-of-the-mill mega-yacht and features actual buildings instead of ship decks. It has three main zones. The “Oasis” is modeled after the gardens of Monaco, which features a full-featued spa and multiple pools and waterfalls, cascading into each other.The “Grand Atrium” is the main living area and suites. Features included a theater, library, casino, dance hall, wine cellar and Havana room. Most suites include their own reception room, dressing room and balcony.
The highlight is the “Streets of Monaco”. It has a scaled down version of the Monaco Grand Prix circuit that you can race on with actual F1 style go-karts. Yep, you heard me. It takes you on a tour of other famous Monaco locations, including the Hotel de Paris, Cafe de Paris, La Rascasse Hotel, Loews Hotel and the Monte Carlo Casino. There also is a tennis court and helipad. Yeah there’s a bunch of pool with swim up bars and Jacuzzis, you know the regular boring stuff you find on mega-yachts.
It also has two large sea-level garages for smaller yachts, its own submarine and “beach” level decks to let you swim and enjoy the ocean.
This is their second and smaller theme at 300 feet long. Here you can play the opposite of the Survivor reality show on faux-tropical island with all the luxuries of a mega-yacht. The main feature is the top deck, which features a cove with cabanas and palm trees surrounding a large main pool. The pool is deep and even allows viewing out the front of the yacht through a large glass wall. The volcano doesn’t gush lava, it just creates a waterfall for the pool.
Underneath the pool, there is a recreation area for a assortment of expensive water toys, such as jet skis, kayaks and boats. Another fun yacht toy I’d add for an extra $100k would be the JetLev water jet pack. There is also a obligatory helicopter pad. When I get mine commissioned, my volcano will only flow with Cristal 24/7.
Yacht Island Design has two more designs in the works: one will be Oriental themed and the other Middle Eastern. They also will design a themed mega-yacht to your imagination. Maybe an Inception-themed yacht within a yacht. With the top deck all water with another smaller yacht on top? What kind of theme would you chose for your yacht?Simon @CelebNetWorth on Sep.08, 2011
Meredith Galante | Nov. 22, 2011, 4:03 PM
Paul Allen’s 414-foot megayacht, the Octopus, may be the best known example of an explorer yacht, having ventured as far as Ushuaia, Argentina, known as the “end of the world.”
These maidens aren’t always the prettiest ships, but they are a luxurious way to travel to your far off destination.
And most have all the amenities you’ll need right on board.
Our friends at Boat International have come up with a list of some of the most awesome explorer yachts on the market and we’ve added a few of our own.
- Asian destinations emerging as luxury yachting centres (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Yachting Exclusive: Fraser Yachts Awarded the Renewal of the Management of the Tatoosh, Octopus and Meduse Super Yachts (prweb.com)
- YACHT OF THE WEEK: This Sparkling White Megayacht With A Cinema On Board Can Be Yours For $66 Million (businessinsider.com)
- Redskins Owner Dan Snyder’s New $70 Million Super Yacht (celebritynetworth.com)
- Spaceship Super Yachts – The Superyacht Adastra Mixes a Futuristic Hull With a Conteporary Cabin (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Green Day’s new eco song the Greenyachts Zero 80 (worldsportsboats.com)
By John Konrad On October 27, 2011
Could the world’s most desirable mega-yacht be an oil field workboat in disguise?
This week an armada of boats lay siege on Fort Lauderdale for the year’s largest boat show and, like models during fashion week, countless mega-yachts arrive daily with hopes of seducing a billionaire to sleep in her cabin. But, for one exceptional beauty, this is not the goal.
With a sharp chiseled bow softened by elegant curves the Sea Axe is a genuine head turner. Her looks are unique and stunning but, unlike most other yachts of her type, they also serve a function enabling her to cut through chop and blaze down the face of a following sea at high speed. Even more intriguing is her lineage. The latest in a line of workboats designed by Damen Shipyards, her unique shape is based off the Fast Crew Supplier, a workboat developed to service oil rigs in the rough waters of the North Sea. This fact, combined with her natural beauty, is what most intrigues the world’s wealthier individuals.
The Sea Axe FYS (Fast Yacht Support), as she is named, is not designed to be the primary yacht of billionaires. Instead she is designed as an elegant work horse capable of both turning heads and carrying the toys of her wealthy owners. The Sea Axe’s generous deck space provides plenty of room for a launch boat, jet skis, automobiles and a helicopter.
In addition to toys the Sea Axe can also carry fuels, consumables, waste and extra staff. In short, the Sea Axe lets owners make the most of their luxury megayacht experience by acting as a floating storage room for extra people and stuff. And she is fast capable of speeds up to 28 knots with a sailing range of 5,000 nautical miles (at 18-knots).
In the Christopher Guest-directed comedy, Best in Show, one character is continuously approached by men she once slept with. The details of her pre-marital love affairs, combined with her wardrobe of scant lycra pull-ups, leads her neurotic husband to compare her to “a cocktail waitress on an oil rig.”
One day the lucky owner of Sea Axe may be similarly dismissive but, this week in Fort Lauderdale, this working class girl of Aberdeen is truly the best in show.
- Welcome to the world ‘s biggest in water boat show the 52nd Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (worldsportsboats.com)
- Crane hauls up sunken workboat off W. Seattle (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Crane Hauls up Sunken 73-Foot Washington Workboat (abcnews.go.com)
- Crane hauls up sunken 73-foot Washington workboat (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- The Super Yacht That’s Dubbed “Tropical Island Paradise” (p21chong.wordpress.com)
- FULL SPEED AHEAD: As Bombardier cuts 1,400 rail jobs, a yacht yard takes on 1,000…how building boats has become a £3bn industry (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Billion Dollar Themed Mega-yachts (celebritynetworth.com)
- Looking To Buy A Yacht? Make Sure You Follow These 10 Simple Steps (businessinsider.com)
- Wally Ace Yacht (heelsandhiphop.com)
- 3 cheers for the ‘1-percenters’ – by Congressman Allen West – Opinion Contributor (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Maltese Falcon: A mega yacht with a pricetag even billionaires shy away from (29 Photos) (thechive.com)
- Bored with your yacht? Try a yacht island instead (sfgate.com)
- Paul Allen selling his private island, tired of double parking his mega-yachts (celebritynetworth.com)
- Your Very Own Floating Bond-Villain Lair for $680 Million (businessweek.com)