By John Konrad On October 27, 2011
Could the world’s most desirable mega-yacht be an oil field workboat in disguise?
This week an armada of boats lay siege on Fort Lauderdale for the year’s largest boat show and, like models during fashion week, countless mega-yachts arrive daily with hopes of seducing a billionaire to sleep in her cabin. But, for one exceptional beauty, this is not the goal.
With a sharp chiseled bow softened by elegant curves the Sea Axe is a genuine head turner. Her looks are unique and stunning but, unlike most other yachts of her type, they also serve a function enabling her to cut through chop and blaze down the face of a following sea at high speed. Even more intriguing is her lineage. The latest in a line of workboats designed by Damen Shipyards, her unique shape is based off the Fast Crew Supplier, a workboat developed to service oil rigs in the rough waters of the North Sea. This fact, combined with her natural beauty, is what most intrigues the world’s wealthier individuals.
The Sea Axe FYS (Fast Yacht Support), as she is named, is not designed to be the primary yacht of billionaires. Instead she is designed as an elegant work horse capable of both turning heads and carrying the toys of her wealthy owners. The Sea Axe’s generous deck space provides plenty of room for a launch boat, jet skis, automobiles and a helicopter.
In addition to toys the Sea Axe can also carry fuels, consumables, waste and extra staff. In short, the Sea Axe lets owners make the most of their luxury megayacht experience by acting as a floating storage room for extra people and stuff. And she is fast capable of speeds up to 28 knots with a sailing range of 5,000 nautical miles (at 18-knots).
In the Christopher Guest-directed comedy, Best in Show, one character is continuously approached by men she once slept with. The details of her pre-marital love affairs, combined with her wardrobe of scant lycra pull-ups, leads her neurotic husband to compare her to “a cocktail waitress on an oil rig.”
One day the lucky owner of Sea Axe may be similarly dismissive but, this week in Fort Lauderdale, this working class girl of Aberdeen is truly the best in show.
- Welcome to the world ‘s biggest in water boat show the 52nd Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (worldsportsboats.com)
- Crane hauls up sunken workboat off W. Seattle (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Crane Hauls up Sunken 73-Foot Washington Workboat (abcnews.go.com)
- Crane hauls up sunken 73-foot Washington workboat (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- The Super Yacht That’s Dubbed “Tropical Island Paradise” (p21chong.wordpress.com)
- FULL SPEED AHEAD: As Bombardier cuts 1,400 rail jobs, a yacht yard takes on 1,000…how building boats has become a £3bn industry (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Billion Dollar Themed Mega-yachts (celebritynetworth.com)
- Looking To Buy A Yacht? Make Sure You Follow These 10 Simple Steps (businessinsider.com)
- Wally Ace Yacht (heelsandhiphop.com)
- 3 cheers for the ‘1-percenters’ – by Congressman Allen West – Opinion Contributor (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Maltese Falcon: A mega yacht with a pricetag even billionaires shy away from (29 Photos) (thechive.com)
- Bored with your yacht? Try a yacht island instead (sfgate.com)
- Paul Allen selling his private island, tired of double parking his mega-yachts (celebritynetworth.com)
- Your Very Own Floating Bond-Villain Lair for $680 Million (businessweek.com)