Blog Archives

USA: Cheniere Plans Corpus Christi LNG Export Terminal

image

Cheniere Energy has proposed to construct a second LNG export terminal on the U.S. Gulf Coast, according to a filing this week with the federal energy regulator, Reuters reported.

The company plans to build the export terminal at Corpus Christi in Texas, originally the site for a planned liquefied natural gas import terminal with three 160,000 m3 LNG tanks.

The terminal would have the capacity to export 1.8 Bcm of gas per day and could start operations by 2017.

Corpus Christi site is located on 612 acres on the northern coast of the Corpus Christi Bay, along the La Quinta Ship Channel, a deepwater ship channel dredged to 45 feet.

Source

Corpus Christi, TX / Spain: Fairmount Marine Delivers Topside for Castor Project

image

Fairmount Marine’s powerful tug Fairmount Expedition has safely delivered a 18,000 ton topside for process, utilities and living quarters for the Castor project offshore Spain. The topside was loaded onto Heerema’s H-541 barge and towed from Corpus Christi towards Spain.

The Castor project is a 1,3 billion cubic meters submarine gas storage project at a depth of 1,800 metres, 12 miles offshore Valencia at the east coast of Spain in the Mediterranean Sea. The topside was build in Corpus Christi, US.

Fairmount Marine was hired for the towage across the North Atlantic by Heerema Marine Contractors. Tug Fairmount Expedition had to mobilize the barge H-541 from Flushing, the Netherlands, to the US first.

Upon arrival of tug and tow in Corpus Christi, the topside was loaded onto the barge, where after the barge was prepared for towage across the North Atlantic. On the morning of October 12th, the Fairmount Expedition crew started with preparations for the towage connection. After the towage connection was established the convoy left Corpus Christi around noon the same day.

In the meanwhile Heerema Marine Contractors crane vessel Thialf was brought into position in the Castor field in order to install the topside which was being delivered by Fairmount Expedition. Fairmount Expedition maintained stand-by in the Castor field. Once the topside was taken of the barge H-541, Fairmount Expedition commenced demobilization of the barge.

The total 12,068 mile voyage (Flushing/the Netherlands – Corpus Christi/US – Tarragona/Spain) took just 50 days, with a just in time delivery of the topside by Fairmount Expedition.

Source

J Storm XVI Is 50th Jackup Commissioned At Bethlehem, Beaumont

image

Southern Drilling Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Marine Drilling Company, and Bethlehem Steel Corporation‘s Beaumont, Texas, shipyard, recently commissioned a 250-foot water depth mobile offshore drilling unit.

The rig was christened J Storm XVI by its sponsor Mrs. Jack K. Larsen, wife of the executive vice president of Mesa Petroleum Company. Senator John G. Tower, senior Senator from Texas, gave the keynote address at the ceremony. The multimillion-dollar rig has been under construction for nearly 10 months and, upon delivery, will begin drilling operations in the Gulf of Mexico for Mesa Petroleum Company.

James C. Storm has been a long-time customer of Bethlehem Steel Corporation’s shipyard at Beaumont.

Sherman C. Perry, general manager of the shipyard, said this commissioning marks a significant milestone in the history of the shipyard. It extends to 50 the number of jackup drilling units commissioned by the Beaumont yard since it built the first 100- foot water depth jackup in 1954. The commissioning also marks the fifth rig to be delivered this year by the yard, as well as the 87th offshore rig delivered by Bethlehem yards.

The J Storm XVI is a mat-supported jackup designed for deepwell drilling operations. On location, the rig will have a total variable drilling load capacity of 4.5 million pounds and handle hook or rotary, plus setback loads of 950,000 pounds.

The rig consists of a platform measuring 176 feet by 109 feet supported by three 12-foot-diameter columns fixed to a mat that is 210 feet by 170 feet. Outfitted with deepwell drilling equipment, the rig can operate in waters of up to 250 feet while experiencing forces resulting from 70-knot winds and 35-foot-high waves. The J Storm XVI contains onboard, air-conditioned living accommodations for 48 persons. This marks the 18th time that one of the 50 Beaumont rigs was commissioned for the James C. Storm interests.

The J Storm XVI is No. 18, and the J Storm XVII No. 19 is scheduled for commissioning and delivery later this year.

Mr. Storm’s dealings with the yard follow a direct line back to 1949. Then in November 1954, the Beaumont yard delivered the Mr. Gus, the first mobile drilling platform capable of operating in 100 feet of water.

Mr. Gus was built for the C.G. Glasscock Drilling Company; Mr. Storm became a partner in that company shortly after he joined it at the close of World War II. In 1957, the Beaumont yard delivered Mr. Gus II, the prototype of the mat-supported jackup rigs built at the yard today. It was the first mobile drilling unit that could drill in up to 150 feet of water. Mr. Storm was involved with that rig also. And Mr. Gus II, after 24 years of service, is still drilling for oil and natural gas. After the Glasscock interests disposed of their drilling rigs, Mr. Storm formed Storm Drilling Company for whom the Beaumont Yard built Stormdrill I, Stormdrill II, Stormdrill III, and Stormdrill IV. Another Storm company, Southern Marine Drilling Company, ordered Stormdrill V. Subsequently Storm Drilling Company was sold.

Mr. Storm then formed Marine Drilling Company and ordered J Storm I from the Beaumont shipyard. J Storm I was initially ordered with capability to operate in 225 feet of water. Mr. Storm asked if the columns could be strengthened and lengthened. The yard added 25 feet of capability, and the rig became the prototype for B e t h l e h e m ‘ s series of 250-foot jackup rigs.

He also ordered the first jackup drilling unit capable of working in up to 375 feet of water. The yard designed this platform to utilize telescoping legs so it would be manageable under tow to different locations, yet be able to work in deeper waters. This rig, J Storm VII, was delivered in 1976. Mr. Perry, general manager of the yard since June 1, 1978, reported that Beaumont has work for the next 1H years. “We have orders for 12 offshore mobile drilling units, which will take us into 1983, and negotiations are being conducted for additional contracts.” The general manager said that the yard has delivered four jackup drilling units thus far this year, and anticipates delivery of four or possibly five more by the end of the year.

That would match or nearly match 1980, when nine drilling units were delivered. For 1978 and 1979, the yard delivered five units each year.

Contracts on hand and the customers are: Marine Drilling Company, one unit in addition to the J Storm XVI; Houtech Energy, Inc., four units; O & U Drilling Co., Inc., one unit; Griffin-Alexander Drilling Co., three units; Teledyne Movible, one unit, and Alfa Drilling, one unit.

The yard presently has more than 2,300 employees at work on the drilling units with two shifts generally being worked, and can accommodate six units under construction simultaneously.

The shipyard’s principal products are offshore mobile drilling units, primarily jackups, and oil and gas production and storage facilities for offshore service. The Beaumont yard has built many ships and barges, principally for the petroleum industry, and can handle any repair, reconditioning, conversion or jumboizing of ships. It has a floating drydock with lifting capacity of 17,500 tons and extreme length of 648 feet. Its mobile floating crane has a capacity of 500 tons.

Source

Offshore Drilling Pioneers – C. G. "Gus" Glasscock

image

GLASSCOCK, CHARLES GUS (1895–1965). Charles Gu s Glasscock, oilman, was born on December 16, 1895, in Leon County, Texas, the son of J. B. and Elizabeth (Armstrong) Glasscock. He attended public school at Longview and Blanco and Southwest Texas State College (now Southwest Texas State University) at San Marcos. Before World War I he and his three brothers performed as acrobats with Ringling Brothers; later they opened a vaudeville act at Madison Square Garden and performed on the big vaudeville circuits. In 1917 Glasscock married Lucille Freeman; they had two children.

After he was rejected for military service in 1917, he worked briefly in the construction and taxicab businesses, then in the Texas oilfields. In December 1919 Glasscock and his three brothers formed an oil syndicate. Not until 1927 did their well near Big Spring come in, and then Glasscock’s career began a meteoric rise. In 1939 he moved to Corpus Christi and organized his own drilling company. His first venture into tidewater drilling was a rig in Corpus Christi Bay in 1948. Dissatisfied with the cumbersome method and expense of this new facet of the oil industry, he contracted with Bethlehem Steel for a barge-rig that could be towed to a drilling site for stationary mooring. The barge was 155 feet long and 52 feet wide, with a draft of 5½ feet. The jackknife derrick was 132 feet high. The lower section of the barge could be dropped to the floor of the bay, and the upper half could be elevated on caissons above wave interference. The unit cost $700,000. Auxiliary barges carried equipment and supplies. The successful innovation resulted in the construction of fleets of similar rigs. Use of the barge-rigs revolutionized tidewater drilling, made Glasscock the biggest offshore driller in the state, and gave him national prominence. When the United States returned the tidelands of Texas to state ownership in 1953 (see TIDELANDS CONTROVERSY), new problems soon developed with deepwater drilling. Another Glasscock innovation resulted in “Mr. Gus,” a modified barge-rig equipped to drill a 15,000-foot well. Its cost exceeded $1 million. It was also a success and was soon emulated by competitors all over the world.

Glasscock also had extensive holdings in oil properties and real estate, with ranches in Texas, Montana, and Wyoming. He served on the staffs of governors Robert Kennan and Jimmie Davis of Louisiana and Governor Price Daniel, Sr., of Texas. He was a strong supporter of the University of Corpus Christi from that institution’s founding. Glasscock died on January 25, 1965, in Corpus Christi.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

Joseph L. Clark, Texas Gulf Coast: Its History and Development (4 vols., New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1955). Corpus Christi Caller, May 8, 1962, January 26, February 2, April 5, 1965. Corpus Christi Caller-Times, October 15, 1951, January 13, 1957, January 23, 1966. Corpus Christi Times, September 12, 1962, January 25, 26, 1965. Lucille Glasscock, A Texas Wildcatter (San Antonio: Naylor, 1952).

J. E. Conner

USA: Port Corpus Christi Contributes to Texas Renewables 2011 Conference

image

Port Corpus Christi along with TREIA, Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association, are bringing Renewable Energy Industry leaders to Corpus Christi for the Texas Renewables 2011 Conference. The event will be held at the American Bank Center from November 6th – 9th.

Mike Carrell, President, Frost National Bank, Chairman Port Commission, Port Corpus Christi, joins the opening session to welcome more than 50 Texas business and government leaders speaking at Texas Renewables 2011, Texas’ premier business-to-business conference and trade show for anyone in or wanting to be in the Texas renewable energy industry. Carrell’s introduction during the opening session is titled Texas’ New Energy Frontier – South Texas & Coastal Bend. Corpus Christi is a prime location in the Coastal Bend area that is fast being recognized as the latest hot spot for renewable energy development. This region is one of the few places in the country where the wind is strong in the daytime and companies can move electricity onto the transmission system and get it to market. “We are honored to support this year’s TREIA Conference and we look forward to welcome the leaders of renewable energy to the Coastal Bend,” said Mike Carrell.

Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association (TREIA, is the oldest renewable energy non-profit trade organization in Texas whose work promoting development of renewable resources and their wise use has spanned a quarter of a century.

“South Texas, which I view as Texas’ next renewable energy frontier, holds great promise for development,” said TREIA Executive Director Russel Smith. “In fact, when it comes to potential, it may be the one area of the state that truly has it all – solar, onshore and offshore wind, biomass, geothermal/geo-pressure, and maybe even offshore hydrokinetic” Smith continued, “While Texas Renewables 2011 addresses renewable energy development and policy throughout the state, the spotlight will be on the coastal region where we expect to help increase business activity and generate jobs.”

About Port Corpus Christi

As the primary economic engine of the Coastal Bend, Port Corpus Christi is 5th largest port in the United States in total tonnage. The Port’s mission statement is to “serve as a regional economic development catalyst while protecting and enhancing its existing industrial base and simultaneously working to diversify its international maritime cargo business.” Strategically located on the western Gulf of Mexico, with a straight, 45’ deep channel, the Port provides quick access to the Gulf and the entire United States inland waterway system. The Port delivers outstanding access to overland transportation with on-site and direct connections to three Class-1 railroads and uncongested interstate and state highways. The Port is protected by a state-of-the-art security department and an award-winning Environmental Management System. With outstanding management and operations staff, Port Corpus Christi is clearly “More Than You Can Sea.”

Source

History of Corpus Christi, Texas

image

Map of Corpus Christi in 1887.

Corpus Christi was founded in 1839 by Colonel Henry Lawrence Kinney as Kinney’s Trading Post, or Kinney’s Ranch, a small trading post to sell supplies to a Mexican revolutionary army camped about 25 miles (40 km) west. In July 1845, U.S. troops under General Zachary Taylor set up camp there in preparation for war with Mexico, where they remained until March 1846. Then about a year later the city was named Corpus Christi and was incorporated on September 9, 1852. The Port of Corpus Christi was opened in 1926 and the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station was commissioned in 1941.

Civil War

On Feb. 23, 1861, in a statewide vote on secession, the vote in Corpus Christi was 87 for secession and 40 against, which brought the total vote in Nueces County to 164 for and 42 against. There were many Union sympathizers in the city. Some originally came from the North and some were veterans of the Mexican War.

In the second week of August, 1862, five Union warships under the command of Lt. J.W. Kittredge sailed into Corpus Christi Bay and bombarded the city. Stores and houses below the bluff made easy targets for Kittredge’s guns. The bombardment did considerable damage to the town. Many of the residents had evacuated before the battle. After it was over, people began to return to town. The Confederates, provoked by the attack, then began to take revenge by plundering the homes and property of known Union supporters.

Port of Corpus Christi

The port of Corpus Christi opened in 1926 after culminating efforts that began as early as 1848 to obtain a deep-water port. The Port of Corpus Christi currently is the sixth largest U.S. port and deepest inshore port on the Gulf of Mexico, it handles mostly oil and agricultural products. In 2005 it was ranked as the 47th largest in the world by cargo tonnage.

%d bloggers like this: