Market trends and very good feedback from the first ship in operation triggers Blue Ship Invest to contract another four platform supply vessels (PSVs) of the PX121 design from ULSTEIN. All four are scheduled for delivery in 2013.
“The investment company Blue Ship Invest received its first vessel, ‘Blue Fighter’, from Ulstein Verft in January this year, and will receive the second vessel in Q3. “’Blue Fighter’ has been working for the oil company Apache for several months, and we have received very good feedback from Remøy Shipping, who manages the vessel on our behalf. The feedback, combined with developments in the PSV market, leads us to contract a series of another four PSVs of the same design,” says CEO Gunvor Ulstein in Ulstein Group.
Gunvor Ulstein adds that while ULSTEIN’s expertise is in design, system solutions and ship construction, ship management is not a part of the company’s business scope. “We will make arrangements for the management of the vessels, but I emphasize that all six vessels are for sale,” she says.
Captain Inge Gjelsten gives ‘Blue Fighter’ the following assessment: “I have worked on board several newbuilds, but ’Blue Fighter’ is the best of them by far. A vessel of this type is my preferred choice for the North Sea. ‘Blue Fighter’ is remarkably efficient and comfortable in all weather conditions. Wind and seas have little impact on the vessel’s performance compared to conventional PSVs. We can compare performance directly when steaming on the same tracks to the oil fields: With the same weather conditions and 3-5 metres head sea within 30 degrees of the bow, our ship can easily and comfortably maintain a speed of 12-13 knots, while the other vessels have to reduce their speed to 7-8 knots. The higher speed is a result of the ‘X-BOW® effect’. Also, due to the position of the stabilisation tanks on board, ‘Blue Fighter’ operates extremely well when wind and seas approach from the side.”
PX121 is a medium-sized platform supply vessel, with a length of 83.4 metres and a beam of 18 metres. It has a cargo deck of 875 square metres and a load capacity of 4200 tonnes (dwt). It has a maximum speed of approximately 15 knots and modern accommodation for 24 persons.
Efficiency and flexibility has been the focus in the development of this design. The ship is adapted to the requirements for longer and deeper boreholes and activities further from shore. In addition to tanks for oil, water and drilling fluids, the vessel has four stainless steel tanks for flammable liquids. The vessel is equipped with a dynamic positioning system Class II and meets the requirements of DNV’s Clean Design and ICE-C notations. The ship is also equipped with catalysts for all four main engines.
The X-BOW® hull line design offers efficiency over a wide draught range, which is important for PSVs as they frequently operate with varying loads. Moreover, the X-BOW has unique, advantageous qualities in terms of motion and propulsion efficiency in moderate and heavy seas. Both the hull and choice of propulsion system make the vessel particularly suited for North Sea and North Atlantic conditions.
- Norway: Ulstein Gets Order for Four PSVs from Blue Ship Invest (worldmaritimenews.com)
- Norway: Captain Praises Ulstein-built ‘Blue Fighter’ Supply Vessel (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: Ulstein Launches Blue Prosper PSV (mb50.wordpress.com)
- GC Rieber Shipping Orders Subsea Vessel from Ulstein (Norway) (mb50.wordpress.com)
Ulstein Group, a group of companies mainly known for its ship building and ship design activities reported today that the first platform supply vessel (PSV) newbuilding of the PX121 design from ULSTEIN®, M/V Blue Fighter, was named in a formal ceremony at Ulstein Verft, Norway on 12 January.
The vessel, 83.4 m of overall length, is the first of two PSVs of the new design under construction at Ulstein Verft for Blue Ship Invest, a shipping company in ULSTEIN. Blue Fighter’s sister vessel will be delivered in Q3 of 2012.
- Norway: Ulstein Delivers Rem Hrist PSV to Remoy Shipping
- Ukraine: Zaliv Launches Ulstein Design PSV Hull
- Norway: Ulstein Verft Delivers Rem Mist PSV Ahead of Schedule
- Norway: Ulstein Power & Control to Deliver Equipment Packages for New SX148 Design Vessel
- Norway:Ulstein Verft. Delivers Norman Ranger to Solstad Offshore
- Ukraine: Zaliv Launches Ulstein Design PSV Hull (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Polarcus Nadia Set for West Africa Work (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ship Photo of the Day: Giant Motor-Driven Canoe? (gcaptain.com)
- China: Sinopacific Group Delivers Ulstein Design OSV to Neptune Offshore (mb50.wordpress.com)
- The Netherlands: Norwind Installer and Ulstein Join Forces on New Offshore Wind Foundation Installation Vessel (mb50.wordpress.com)
- MacGregor Systems for New OSVs in Asia and Europe (mb50.wordpress.com)