Gulf of Mexico Offshore Field Development Projects
Offshore fields today are found in the North Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, the Campos and Santos Basins off the coasts of Brazil, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia (Atlantic Canada), several fields off West Africa most notably west of Nigeria and Angola, as well as offshore fields in South East Asia and Sakhalin, Russia. Also major offshore oil fields are located in the Persian Gulf such as Safaniya, Manifa, and Marjan which belong to Saudi Arabia and are developed by Saudi Aramco.
Offshore oil and gas production is more challenging than land-based installations due to the remote and harsher environment. Much of the innovation in the offshore petroleum sector concerns overcoming these challenges, including the need to provide very large production facilities. Production and drilling facilities may be very large and a large investment, such as the Troll A platform standing on a depth of 300 meters.
Another type of offshore platform may float with a mooring system to maintain it on location. While a floating system may be lower cost in deeper waters than a fixed platform, the dynamic nature of the platforms introduces many challenges for the drilling and production facilities.
The ocean can add several hundred meters or more to the fluid column. The addition increases the equivalent circulating density and downhole pressures in drilling wells, as well as the energy needed to lift produced fluids for separation on the platform.
The trend today is to conduct more of the production operations subsea, by separating water from oil and re-injecting it rather than pumping it up to a platform, or by flowing to onshore, with no installations visible above the sea. Subsea installations help to exploit resources at progressively deeper waters, locations which have been inaccessible, and overcome challenges posed by sea ice, such as in the Barents Sea.
- Russia: Gazprom Discovers New Offshore Field Near Sakhalin III (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Shell Perdido: The first full field subsea separation and pumping system in the Gulf of Mexico. (video) (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Mexico: Cal Dive to Install Subsea Pipeline in Abkatun Offshore Field (mb50.wordpress.com)
- C. G. Glasscock Drilling Company offshore mobile drilling platform “Mr. Gus II” (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Gazprom to Get Tax Break for Oil Exported from Arctic Offshore Field (mb50.wordpress.com)
- ROC Sells Offshore Mauritania Interests to Tullow (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Re-inventing subsea intervention to keep economics above water (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Italy’s Saipem Inks Multiple Offshore Contracts Worth USD 1.5 Billion (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Perdido Subsea System (video) (mb50.wordpress.com)
- The Run Continues In Hornbeck Offshore (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Offshore Vessel Operators Suffer As Gulf Oil Output Sags (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Apache Proceeds with Development of Balnaves Oil Field Offshore Western Australia (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Anadarko Reports Successful Itaipu Appraisal, Offshore Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Genesis Energy to Buy U.S. Gulf of Mexico Pipelines from Marathon (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Petrobras Strikes Oil in U.S. Gulf of Mexico (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Hess to spend $2.3 billion to develop Gulf of Mexico oil field (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: EMAS Wins Gulf of Mexico Subsea Contract from BP (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Gulf of Mexico: Vector Lands Cascade Chinook Field Job (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: BP Sells Stake in Pompano and Mica Offshore Fields to Stone Energy (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Shell Sets World Record for Deepest Subsea O&G Well at Perdido Development (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Gulf of Mexico Records Largest Demand for Specialised Offshore Vessels (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Offshore Lists Top 5 Offshore Field Development Projects (mb50.wordpress.com)
- A Little Bit Louder Now, Chevron Starts To Shout About Davy Jones And The Ultra Deep (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Foster Wheeler Enters U.S. Gulf of Mexico Junction Platform Project (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Cal Dive Wins USD 25 Million Offshore Decommissioning Contract (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Technip Rings Tubular Bells (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Discovery to Expand Pipeline System in Deepwater Gulf of Mexico (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Finland: Wartsila to Provide Propulsion for Harvey’s New LNG OSVs (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Repsol Drills Duster Offshore Cuba (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: BP Awards Mad Dog Topsides FEED to AMEC (mb50.wordpress.com)
- First oil from the Caesar Tonga field in the Gulf of Mexico (mb50.wordpress.com)