Category Archives: Logan
Situated in a water depth of 8,704 feet (2,653 meters) in the Gulf of Mexico is the Logan prospect, located on Walker Ridge Blocks 925 and 969. Statoil serves as the operator and holds a 35% working interest. Partners in the license include Petrobras America (35%), Ecopetrol America (20%) and OOGC (10%).
On April 23, 2009, the partners submitted an IEP to drill and temporarily abandon four wells on Walker Ridge Blocks 925 and 969 using Transocean’s drillship Discoverer Americas.
A discovery was made in the Logan-1 well. The operator will evaluate the data to assess volumes and commerciality.
Petrobras last week announced a new oil discovery in the extreme southwestern part of the Walker Ridge concession area, located in America’s Gulf of Mexico ultra-deep waters. The discovery confirms the Lower Tertiary’s potential in this area.
The Logan discovery is approximately 400 km (250 miles) southwest of New Orleans, at a water of around 2,364 meters (7,750 feet). The discovery was made by drilling operations of well WR 969 #1 (Logan #1), in block WR 969. Further exploration activities will define Logan’s recoverable volumes and its commercial potential.
Statoil is the consortium’s operator, with 35% stake. Petrobras America Inc. (a subsidiary of Petrobras headquartered in Houston, Texas) holds 35% of the stake, while Ecopetrol America and OOGC hold 20% and 10%, respectively.
Petrobras in the Gulf of Mexico
As a world leader in deepwater operations, Petrobras benefits from the experience and technology the company developed in its offshore operations in Brazil.
In the Gulf of Mexico, Petrobras is the operator of Cascade (100%) and Chinook (66.7%) oilfields and holds stakes in the Saint Malo (25%), Stones (25%) and Tiber (20%) discoveries, all with significant oil reserves in the Lower Tertiary. Additionally, Petrobras has stakes in the very recent Hadrian South (23.3%), Hadrian North (25%) and Lucius (9.6%) discoveries, all with significant oil reserves and in the Mio-Pliocene.
Petrobras holds other exploratory concession areas in this region, which will be tested later on, growing the Company’s operations in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Gulf of Mexico: Vector Lands Cascade Chinook Field Job (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Brazil: Petrobras Discovers Hydrocarbons in Campos Basin (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Petrobras production hurt by ‘global bottleneck’ for rigs (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Genesis Energy to Buy U.S. Gulf of Mexico Pipelines from Marathon (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Hess to spend $2.3 billion to develop Gulf of Mexico oil field (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: EMAS Wins Gulf of Mexico Subsea Contract from BP (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Modec Receives FPSO Order from Petrobras, Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Deep water Brazil: To venture where no driller has gone before (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Transocean’s Discoverer Americas Gets it Done for Statoil in the Gulf of Mexico (gcaptain.com)