Category Archives: Dynamic positioning
Dynamic positioning (DP) is a computer controlled system to automatically maintain a vessel’s position and heading by using its own propellers and thrusters. Position reference sensors, combined with wind sensors, motion sensors and gyro compasses, provide information to the computer pertaining to the vessel’s position and the magnitude and direction of environmental forces affecting its position. Examples of vessel types that employ DP include, but are not limited to, ships and semi-submersible Mobile Offshore Drilling Units (MODU) and Oceanographic Research Vessels.
Unique Maritime Group, one of the world’s leading integrated turnkey subsea and offshore solution providers, announced today the introduction of the Light Weight Taut Wire MK 15 B to their rental pool inventory.
The Light Weight Taut Wire Mk 15B is a position-reference system used extensively with Dynamic Positioning of vessels, which is designed to provide accurate data of a surface vessel’s movement with respect to the position of a depressor weight on the sea floor.
Harry Gandhi, CEO of Unique Maritime Group commented on the addition “We are happy to introduce this Cost-effective, Well-proven and reliable technology to our customers with an operational water depth up to 300 m”.
The Light Weight Taut Wire Mk 15B is a position reference system designed for use in deck-mounted port or starboard position on surface vessels. A wire is maintained at a constant tension by means of a depressor weight on the sea-bed and a pneumatic and electric servo-assisted “mooring” system. Any movement of the vessel will cause the tensioned wire to deviate from its initial inclination. This movement activates potentiometers mounted in the gimbal (sensor) head and produces changes of analogue signals directly proportional to the deviation in inclination, which is interfaced to the Dynamic Positioning of the vessel.
About Unique Maritime Group
Founded in 1993, Unique Maritime Group is one of the world’s leading integrated turnkey subsea and offshore solution providers. Through its expanding network of companies, UMG is a specialist in the provision of services, and the sale and rental of equipment for the marine, diving, hydrographic, oceanographic, and NDT market sectors. The group has an established manufacturing capability for the delivery of customized engineering projects worldwide. UMG has local presence in USA, UK, South Africa, India, Middle East, Russia and Singapore and employs over 500 people worldwide.
- Special Report: Iran’s cat-and-mouse game on sanctions (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: Kleven Maritime Receives Contract for Rem Fortune Renovation (mb50.wordpress.com)
Eastern Shipbuilding Group has delivered the HARVEY SUPPORTER, the first of three (3) 292 ft. Tiger Shark Class Offshore Support Vessels for Harvey Gulf International Marine, LLC.
The HARVEY SUPPORTER is an STX Marine design featuring a DP II SOLAS-classed AC diesel-electric, twin Z-drive Offshore Support Vessel measuring 292’ X 64’ X 24’-6”. Power and propulsion systems, controls, automation, etc. are provided by the system integrator, Converteam, Inc. This high-tech vessel features four Cummins QSK60-DM 16-cylinder turbo-charged Tier II diesel generator engines that are rated 1825 Kw at 1,800 rpm. Main propulsion is provided by two Schottel SRP 2020 FP Z-drives with nozzles rated at 2,500 Kw at 1,025 rpm each for a total of 6,704 hp. Schottel also provided two STT 4 fixed pitch tunnel thrusters rated at 1,180 Kw at 1,170 rpm each with direct coupled electric motors. The vessel is capable of top speeds in access of 12 knots.
- USA: Eastern Shipbuilding Group Delivers Tiger Shark Class PSV to Aries Marine
- USA: Thrustmaster to Deliver Propulsion System for Two PSVs
- USA: Caterpillar Marine to Provide Four Cat 3516C DEP Generator Sets for MPSV
- Brazil: Caterpillar Wins Contract to Power 16 Offshore Supply Vessels
- Harvey Gulf International Authorizes Construction of First United States Flagged LNG OSV
Other Related articles
- USA: Harvey Gulf Orders CAT DEP Generators for SV-310 Offshore Vessel (mb50.wordpress.com)
- China: Sinopacific Group Delivers Ulstein Design OSV to Neptune Offshore (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: STX OSV to Build 4 PSVs for Island Offshore (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Hornbeck Announces Construction Contracts in $720m Newbuild Program (gcaptain.com)
- Wärtsilä To Supply Propulsion Equipment For First U.S.-Flagged LNG-Powered OSV’s (gcaptain.com)
- USA: Hornbeck Plans to Build Sixteen New Generation Offshore Supply Vessels (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Ukraine: Zaliv Launches Ulstein Design PSV Hull (mb50.wordpress.com)
by Noble Corp. & Shell
Shell and Noble Corp. announced the Gulf of Mexico arrival of the Noble Bully I, a state-of-the-art offshore drilling rig that is designed to raise the bar in terms of safety and performance. The Noble Bully I (UDW Drillship) is the first of two Bully rigs, jointly designed by Shell and Noble, and can be equipped to drill in up to 10,000-feet of water.
The Bully rigs also feature a compact box-type drilling tower, known as a Multi-purpose Tower, instead of a conventional derrick. As the name indicates, a Multi-purpose Tower is designed to maximize productivity and safety, yet it allows for a significantly smaller vessel when compared to other deep water drill ships of similar capacity.
The ships also feature an attention to energy efficiency, use less fuel and are shorter and lighter than comparable drill ships. The Noble Bully I and Noble Bully II (UDW drillship), are dynamically positioned drill ships and can, therefore, be positioned at a favorable angle toward wind, waves, and currents, and feature ice-class hulls. Shell and Noble have increased the automated technology on the Bully rigs, increasing personnel safety on board.
The Noble Bully I has now arrived in the Gulf of Mexico from Singapore and will complete commissioning and acceptance testing this month before beginning operations. The Noble Bully I will first drill in Shell’s Mars B, Olympus, development while the Noble Bully II drill ship is expected to begin operations early next year in Brazil.
Source – RIGZONE
- Noble Bully departs for the Gulf of Mexico featuring unique drilling package (gcaptain.com)
- Inauguration of Noble Globetrotter I at Schiendam, the Netherlands (mb50.wordpress.com)