Daily Archives: April 7, 2012
Subsea Trenching Beast – A Look At The Helix T1200
By John Konrad On April 5, 2012
Need to cut a 30 foot deep trench in the bottom of the ocean floor to run flowlines out to a new production rig?
No problem. Helix Energy Solutions’ new T1200 subsea trenching behemoth is just what you’re looking for.
Looking like a mix between a space ship and an Abrams battle tank, the T1200 is a massive piece of equipment weighing in at over 33 tons (30,000kg) and towering to a height of 12.6ft (3.8m).
While not yet in service, construction of the T1200 trenching and burial unit is one step closer to entering service following testing and installation of its two enormous caterpillar tracks.
The vehicle also got wet for the first time in the manufacturer’s test tank in central England. Still undergoing final fitting, the T1200 is expected to be delivered to Helix ESG this summer and will begin work on board another new asset to Helix ESG’s ROV Support Vessel fleet, the Grand Canyon.
The 1,125hp ROV will use high-powered water jets to cut up to 30 feet into the seafloor and lay power cables, or other tubular products like oil and gas pipelines.
The Grand Canyon is a new build offshore construction vessel that will host a new T1200 jet trencher, two 200HP XLX ROV systems onboard along with two more ROV systems. The Grand Canyon is 125m x 25m and has a 250t crane, monopool, dynamic positioning systems and helideck. Accommodations are for up to 108 personnel and will be deployed for work in Europe’s growing offshore wind farm projects where her ROVs will conduct power cable trenching and burial operations. (Image: Helix ESG)
- T1200 Trenching Unit Nearing Completion in the UK (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Support vessel Grand Canyon being towed to Norway for completion. (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Helix Well Ops UK Completes Well Intervention in West Africa (mb50.wordpress.com)
- McDermott signs agreement for spool base services in Gulf of Mexico (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Helix to Build New Semi-Sub Well Intervention Vessel (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Helix Orders Semi-Sub Well Intervention Rig in Singapore (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Helix’s Oil & Gas Revenues Rise on High Prices and Lift in Production (mb50.wordpress.com)