Norway: NPD Supports Statoil’s New Rig Concept for Subsea Wells
A letter sent to the relevant companies points out that recovery from producing fields is an important commitment area for the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate. An increasing percentage of the oil production on the Norwegian shelf comes from subsea wells, and the number of wells is increasing. The NPD has noted that it could be challenging to both drill new sidetracks from the subsea wells and carry out maintenance.
“That is why the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate is concerned with finding good solutions that can contribute to maintaining or increasing production from subsea wells,” says Torsten Bertelsen, director responsible for the Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea.
Statoil has long worked on a new type of rig for subsea wells, a so-called category B rig. It is permanently equipped for cables, coiled tubing and slim hole drilling and is specially adapted to well intervention campaigns. This type of rig can be used on multiple fields with subsea wells.
Use of such a rig will contribute to improve rig capacity, increase the number of subsea wells and thus improve recovery from subsea wells.
In the letter to the licensees the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate asks the companies to support Statoil’s project or to present alternative measures or projects that can yield similar effects.
“A cooperation on the new rig type across production licences is considered good resource management,” says Bertelsen.
- Norway: EMAS AMC Wins Fram SURF Deal from Statoil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: Statoil Orders Subsea Structures for Asgard (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: Technip to Install Subsea Compression System on Asgard (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Statoil Introduces New “Cat J” Jackup Rig for Norwegian Continental Shelf + [VIDEO] (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Helix Orders Semi-Sub Well Intervention Rig in Singapore (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: DOF Subsea to Provide Offshore Survey & Construction Services to Statoil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Norway: Statoil Steps Up Technology Efforts to Increase Production (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Recap: Worldwide Field Development News (Mar 2 – Mar 8, 2012) (mb50.wordpress.com)
Posted on March 15, 2012, in Completions, Europe, MARINE VESSELS, Norway, Oil & Gas - offshore, P & A, Service, Subsea, Subsea Systems, Well Intervention and tagged business, concept, Drill Rigs, europe, Industry, new, News by topic, Norway, Norwegian Continental Shelf, Norwegian Petroleum Directorate, Norwegian Sea, NPD, Rig, Statoil, SubSea, Supports, Well Intervention, Wells. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Norway: NPD Supports Statoil’s New Rig Concept for Subsea Wells.