Rosatomflot to Construct World’s Largest Nuclear Icebreaker
Rosatomflot has revealed its plans to construct an LK60, the largest and most powerful nuclear icebreaker ever built, that will be deployed in the Northern Sea Route. Vyacheslav Ruksha, General Director of Rosatomflot, says to BarentsObserver.com that the estimated cost for a new icebreaker is € 1.1 billion (approx $ 1.4 billion) and is already included in Rosatomflots’s 2012 budget.
The tender for a new icebreaker will be announced this summer and the construction contract will probably be signed in September. If everything goes according to plan, the construction will commence by the end of 2012 and the newbuild might be ready for traffic by 2018.
Russia is the major player in deploying nuclear icebreakers for shipping in the Arctic and other freezing seas. The company wants to develop its fleet that would be a key element of the Northern Sea Route infrastructure thus the new generation nuclear icebreaker is being designed.
The LK60 icebreaker is designed to maneuver through three meters of ice with its supreme power of 60 MW. This is exactly what Rosatomflot needs to open the Northern Sea Route for commercial traffic all year around. Her draught varies ranging from 8.5 m to 10.8 m. The new design features maximum width of 34 meters, compared to the maximum of 30 meters width at the Arktika class vessels. Such a design will be capable of providing support to larger tankers through the northern sea route.
The LK60 icebreaker will replace one icebreaker of the Arktika class and one icebreaker of Taimyr class.
- Reconditioning of Nuclear-Powered Icebreaker Sovetsky Soyuz to Start Next Year (Russia)
- China Plans to Build Polar Research Icebreaker
- Russia: USC Inks USD 640 Million Contract to Build Four Diesel Icebreakers
- AURORA BOREALIS to Become The World’s Most Advanced Polar Research Vessel
- Italy: Rossita Completes RS Survey for Transporting Radioactive Material
- Fatal Fire Aboard Russian Nuclear Icebreaker (gcaptain.com)
- How nuclear icebreakers work and the reversible ships that will replace them (InnovationToronto.com)
- The Lone Icebreaker: U.S. Sovereignty in the Arctic (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Canada well behind Russia in race to claim Arctic seaways and territory. (thestar.com)
- Shortage of icebreaker ships could lose us the race to explore the Antarctic (io9.com)
- Reversing U.S. Retreat from the Arctic (mb50.wordpress.com)
Posted on February 22, 2012, in Arctic, Arctic Ocean, Oceans, OCEANS & SEAS, Region, Russian Federation and tagged Arctic, Arktika, aurora borealis, class vessels, construct, Icebreaker, News by topic, Northern Sea Route, Nuclear Icebreaker, Nuclear-powered icebreaker, polar research vessel, Rosatomflot, Russia, September, Shipbuilding, Taymyr (nuclear icebreaker). Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Rosatomflot to Construct World’s Largest Nuclear Icebreaker.