Finland: Wartsila to Provide Propulsion for Harvey’s New LNG OSVs
Finland-based Wärtsilä, the marine industry’s leading gas solutions provider, has been awarded a contract to deliver an integrated propulsion system for two additional LNG offshore support vessels (OSV) to Harvey Gulf International Marine.
The order, placed last week, takes Harvey Gulf to a fleet of four LNG OSVs on order, establishing the company as the world’s second largest operator of LNG powered OSVs. Wärtsilä will deliver an integrated system that includes the dual-fuel machinery, electrical and automation package, complete propulsion, and also the LNG fuel storage and gas conditioning system. The LNG storage capacity provides for more than a week of vessel operational time.
Harvey Gulf CEO Shane J. Guidry, says, “Harvey Gulf’s decision to become the leader in Clean Gulf of Mexico operations has been enthusiastically accepted by oil company executives, and was the impetus for adding two additional LNG dual-fuel vessels to the fleet. These vessels, like their two sisterships, will meet the highest emission standards that exist today – and even higher standards that haven’t been created yet. We recognize the strong stance on environmental protection by the administration in the wake of the oil spill, and are doing our part to respond to it and provide our customers support for their environmental commitments.”
“Harvey Gulf’s original order of complete integrated solutions from Wärtsilä has facilitated the development of an excellent working relationship between Harvey Gulf, STX USA Marine, Trinity Offshore and Wärtsilä. The challenges of bringing a new technology to the US market are being met effectively, and this strong teamwork between suppliers will ensure that Harvey Gulf is delivered state-of-the-art vessels that provide clean, safe, efficient, reliable and competitive operations. This order for two additional LNG powered vessels further demonstrates that Harvey Gulf is an industry leader and that the move to LNG as a marine fuel in the US has begun,” states Pete Jacobs, Business Development Manager, Offshore at Wärtsilä North America.
“We are witnessing a true paradigm change, and it’s a very exciting time for LNG fuelled vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. Millennia ago the shift was oar to sail, two centuries ago it was sail to steam, a century ago steam to diesel, and now it’s a new era for gas. We are pleased to continue as a partner with Harvey Gulf as they reaffirm their commitment by adding more safe and clean LNG fuelled vessels to their modern fleet,” adds John Hatley, Vice President Ship Power, Wärtsilä North America.
- Finland: Wartsila to Provide Propulsion for Harvey’s New LNG OSVs
- USA: CSI Becoming Part of FMC Technologies
- BP Hires PSV ‘Sea Brasil’
- OBC Contract for RXT (Norway)
- Norway Approves Jette Development
- Russia: LUKOIL Lays Corner Stone for Caspian Offshore Facility
- Australia: Santos’ Net Profit Rises 51 pct
- AWE Completes Acquisition of Indonesian Offshore Assets
- Australia: LogiCamms Gets Gorgon Job from Chevron
- Total Buys Stake in Three Licenses Offshore Ivory Coast
- USA: Harvey Orders More LNG OSVs from Trinity (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Harvey Gulf Orders CAT DEP Generators for SV-310 Offshore Vessel (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Eastern Shipbuilding Hands Over OSV HARVEY SUPPORTER (mb50.wordpress.com)
- LNG Fueled Ships: Recent Technical and Regulatory Developments (gcaptain.com)
Posted on February 17, 2012, in AMERICAS, Europe, Finland, LNG OSV, North America, United States and tagged europe, Finland, gulf of mexico, Harvey, Harvey Gulf, Liquefied natural gas, LNG, LNG OSVs, News, offshore support vessels, Propulsion, propulsion system, Provide, United States, Wärtsilä. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.