Brazil: Petrobras Agrees Contracts for 26 Drilling Rigs
Petrobras, the state-controlled Brazilian oil giant, announces the result of the negotiation with Sete Brasil and Ocean Rig, which had submitted offers for the charter and operation of drilling rigs to be manufactured in Brazil.
A source close to the matter told Reuters that Petrobras would pay an aggregate $76.3 billion over 15 years to lease the rigs.
The Company approved the contract for 21 offline rigs with Sete Brasil, at an average daily rate of US$ 530 thousand and the contract for 5 dual activity rigs with Ocean Rig, at the average day rate of US$ 548 thousand, both for a 15-year term.
All units, which have local content requirements ranging from 55% to 65%, are to be delivered within 48 to 90 months, according to the schedules established in the contracts. The project includes the construction of new shipyards in the country and the use of existing infrastructure.
The contract also includes the possibility of reducing average daily rates if PIS/COFINS exemption is granted and depending on the final financing conditions agreed between the companies and the Brazilian Development Bank – BNDES. Petrobras expects to reduce the average daily rates to US$ 500 thousand for the Sete Brasil contract and to US$ 535 thousand for the Ocean Rig contract. These amounts may suffer further reductions if the parties detect and agree to mechanisms that reduce operating costs.
With these contracts, the Company completes the plan to contract 28 drilling rigs to be built in Brazil to meet the demands of the long-term drilling program, primarily for use in pre-salt wells. Based on the conditions submitted by the companies and on the current demand for the development of future projects, the Company chose to take advantage of the negotiated conditions and contract five additional which were not originally planned.
- Petrobras: No More Bids for 21 Drilling Rigs. Talks Underway (Brazil)
- Brazil: Petrobras Receives Bids for 21 Offshore Drilling Rigs
- Sete Brasil S.A. Set Up to Build Deepwater Rigs for Petrobras
- Sete Brasil Orders USD 809 Million Rig from Keppel
- Petrobras Breaks Oil Production Records in Brazil
- Ocean Rig Bidding to Rent 5 Drillships to Petrobras, Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Busy December Ahead of Pacific Drilling’s Drillships (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Sembcorp Marine Secures Foothold in Brazil With New Drillship Order (gcaptain.com)
- Petrobras Announces New Discovery in Carioca Area, Offshore Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Petrobras Discovers Oil at Tucura Well, Campos Basin, Offshore Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Expro Wins Wireline Contract in Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
Posted on February 10, 2012, in AMERICAS, Brazil, South America and tagged 26, Agrees, AMERICAS, Brazil, Brazilian Development Bank, contract, contracts, Drill Rigs, Drilling Rigs, News, Ocean Rig, offshore drilling rigs, Petrobras, Sete Brasil. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.