Canada: NEB Approves BC LNG Export Licence
The Canadian National Energy Board (NEB) approved an application by BC LNG Export Co-operative LLC for a licence to export liquefied natural gas from Kitimat, British Columbia primarily to Asian markets.
The export licence authorizes BC LNG to export 36 million tonnes of LNG, which is equivalent to approximately 47.9 billion m³ of natural gas, over a 20 year period. The maximum annual quantity allowed for export will be 1.8 million tonnes of LNG, which amounts to approximately 2.4 billion m³of natural gas.
A co-operative comprised of natural gas producers, marketers and LNG buyers is a central feature of BC LNG’s export proposal, where members of the co-operative will submit bids to provide natural gas to be liquefied or purchase LNG. A committee will review the bids and choose those that will yield the greatest margin to the co-operative.
Membership in the co-operative is currently comprised of thirteen parties, and additional members may join upon request. BC LNG’s export model permits smaller natural gas market participants in Canada to play a part in exporting LNG.
“In approving BC LNG’s application, the Board satisfied itself that the quantity of gas to be exported is in excess of the requirements to meet the foreseeable Canadian demand. The Board also determined that the volumes of natural gas proposed to be exported are not likely to cause Canadians difficulty in meeting their energy requirements at fair market prices,” NEB said in a report.
“The Board acknowledged the potential economic benefits associated with BC LNG’s project. In particular, the Board noted the benefits for the Haisla Nation, including an interest in BC LNG, and employment opportunities resulting from the development and operation of the liquefaction facility,” NEB added.
- KM LNG Files NEB Application for 20-Year Licence to Export LNG from British Columbia, Canada
- Canada: NEB to Hold Public Hearing on BC LNG Application for LNG Export Licence
- Canada: NEB Schedules Hearing to Consider KM LNG Application for License to Export Liquefied Natural Gas
- National regulator approves BC LNG export licence (theprovince.com)
- Canada: Kitimat LNG Wins Export Licence (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Sempra Wins DOE Approval for Cameron LNG Export (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Cheniere, KOGAS Ink Sabine Pass LNG Deal (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Sempra Files with DOE to Export LNG from Cameron Terminal (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Petronet in Talks to Buy Capacity at US, Australia LNG Terminals (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Lithuania: Cheniere Eyes LNG Exports by 2015 (mb50.wordpress.com)
Posted on February 3, 2012, in AMERICAS, Canada, LNG and tagged AMERICAS, Approves, BC LNG, british columbia canada, Canada, Export, export licence, Haisla Nation, Kitimat, Kitimat British Columbia, Licence, Limited liability company, Liquefied natural gas, lng files, market participants, National Energy Board, Natural Gas, natural gas producers, NEB, News. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Canada: NEB Approves BC LNG Export Licence.