InterOil Spuds Triceratops-2 Well in Papua New Guinea
InterOil Corporation announced that drilling has commenced on the Triceratops-2 appraisal well in Petroleum Prospecting License 237 in Papua New Guinea.
The plan is to drill the entire reservoir interval with a predicted total depth of the well of approximately 7,579 feet (2,310 meters). The well is expected to take in the order of 60 to 120 days to drill, log and test depending upon drilling conditions.
The Triceratops-2 well will test a previously identified gas field which was logged and tested during drilling of the Bwata-1 well in 1959, and the Triceratops-1 well in 2005. The Bwata-1 well tested flow rates of up to 28 million cubic feet of natural gas per day defining a 512 feet (156 metre) gas column.
Recently InterOil has completed over 128 kilometres of seismic acquisition re-evaluating the Triceratops gas field. The seismic data defines a larger structural closure than previously recognized. In addition, seismic facies character and geometries analogous to the Antelope reefal build up have been observed.
The Triceratops-2 well, located approximately 2.1 miles (3.5 kms) west of the Bwata-1 discovery well and 2.9 miles (4.7 kms) SW from Triceratops-1, is predicted to penetrate the top of the carbonate reservoir approximately 1,500 feet higher than the gas water contact established in the Bwata-1 well.
The Triceratops-2 primary objectives are to 1) confirm the presence of gas and condensate 2) test for the presence of reefal carbonate reservoir and 3) in the event of success, complete the well as a future production well.
“We are pleased to resume our exploration drilling activities with the drilling and delineation of the Triceratops gas field. Our exploration team has identified significant potential in this field which is proximate to our planned Gulf LNG Project,” said Mr. Phil Mulacek, Chief Executive Officer of InterOil.
- InterOil Second Quarter Profit Rises (USA)
- Transeuro Energy: Ukraine Drills Into High Pressure Gas
- LNG Energy Announces Interpretation of 27km of 2D Seismic Within PPL 319 in Papua New Guinea
- Santos: Spar-2 Appraisal Well Confirms Spar Field Upside (Australia)
- Sonde Resources Announces Test Results from Its Zarat North-1 Appraisal Well, Offshore Tunisia
- InterOil Seeks Strategic Partner for Papua New Guinea LNG Project (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Papua New Guinea’s InterOil Close to Finalizing $6 Billion LNG Project, Secures Preliminary Sales Deal with Chinese Firm (ibtimes.com)
- InterOil and Gunvor ink LNG supply deal (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Australia: UBS Says Woodside Faces LNG Delays (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Paupa New Guinea: FLEX Updates on Gulf LNG Project (mb50.wordpress.com)
Posted on January 17, 2012, in Papua New Guinea and tagged Australia, energy, InterOil, InterOil Corporation, Liquefied natural gas, News, Oceania, Oil and Gas, Papua New Guinea, Spuds, Triceratops-2, USA, well. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on InterOil Spuds Triceratops-2 Well in Papua New Guinea.