USA: Keppel to Turn Ocean Voyager into Ocean Onyx
Keppel AmFELS, a shipyard strategically located at the gateway of the Gulf of Mexico, Brownswille, Texas has secured a contract from Diamond Offshore to construct and upgrade a moored semisubmersible rig with delivery scheduled for 3Q 2013. The estimated shipyard contract price is approximately US$150 million.
The rig, to be named Ocean Onyx, will be constructed from an existing hull from a Diamond Offshore cold stacked unit, which previously operated as the Ocean Voyager.
Keppel AmFELS’ scope of work on the Ocean Onyx includes the reconstruction of the rig, installation of advanced equipment such as a modern drilling package, and installation of sponsons to the pontoons to enhance the stability of the rig in deepwater. The rig will be designed to operate in water depths of up to 6,000 feet and will have a variable deck load of 5,000 long tonnes, a five-ram blowout preventer, and quarters capacity for 140 personnel.
Mr Larry Dickerson, President and CEO of Diamond Offshore, said, “We have worked with Keppel for more than a decade, and our rigs have consistently been delivered on time and within budget, whether in the US or Singapore. With Keppel’s track record as a leading offshore yard, we are confident that this project will also be a success.”
Keppel O&M has previously built four similar semisubmersible rigs for Diamond Offshore: the Ocean Baroness, Ocean Rover, Ocean Endeavour and Ocean Monarch.
Mr Tan Geok Seng, President of Keppel AmFELS, said, “We are pleased to be able to embark on another major rig project for Diamond Offshore, who has worked with Keppel on more than 20 projects since 1996. Diamond’s rigs are sent regularly to our yards around the world for maintenance, repair and upgrade, and Keppel AmFELS has proven to be their choice yard in the US Gulf of Mexico. Having built a long-term partnership with Diamond, we understand the company’s needs and are confident of delivering another high quality rig to their satisfaction.”
- USA: Keppel Delivers EXL Rig to Rowan Drilling Company
- Singapore: Keppel AmFELS Maintains Perfect Track Record with Second Rowan Rig
- Singapore: Keppel Delivers Third Rowan Rig Ahead of Schedule
- Singapore: Keppel to Construct New USD 195 Million Jackup Rig for Mexican Perforadora Central
- USA: Anadarko Wants to Cancel Drilling Contract with Diamond
- Christmas Comes Early for Keppel (gcaptain.com)
- Keppel FELS to deliver Vietnam’s first drilling tender rig (Keppel Offshore & Marine) (thuytinhvo.wordpress.com)
- Bermuda: AOD to Increase Water Depth Capacity for its Jack-ups (mb50.wordpress.com)
- USA: Atwood Oceanics Wins Contract for Atwood Condor Rig (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Fairmount Marine Brings Ocean Yorktown Rig in U.S. Gulf of Mexico (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Keppel wins contract to build world’s largest sheerleg floating crane (gcaptain.com)
Posted on January 9, 2012, in AMERICAS, Brownswille, Gulf of Mexico, Semi-submersible, Singapore, Texas and tagged Brownswille, Diamond Offshore, Gas, gulf of mexico, Keppel, Keppel Corporation, News, ocean, Ocean Monarch, oil, Onyx, Singapore, to, Turn, USA, Voyager. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.