World’s Largest Solar-Powered Boat Circumnavigates Globe
PlanetSolar‘s TÛRANOR is currently on its way to becoming the first solar-powered boat to circumnavigate the globe. Driven by a silent, pollution-free electrical engine that is powered exclusively by solar energy, the PlanetSolar team has two goals in mind. The first objective is to show that current technologies aimed at improving energy efficiency are reliable and effective. The second is to advance scientific research in the field of renewable energy.
The world’s largest solar-powered boat has already been to Miami, Cancun, Brisbane, Hong Kong and just made its way to Vietnam. Measuring around 101 feet long and 49 feet wide, the $26 million TÛRANOR can comfortably transport 50 passengers.
The Swiss-designed, German-built ship is powered by over 5,380 square feet of solar paneling. The panels power two electric motors, which can reach 15 miles per hour. The panels can also soak up enough stored energy to power the boat in cloudy weather for three days. The excess energy is stored in a giant lithium-ion battery.
And, in case you were wondering how PlanetSolar came up the ship’s name, TÛRANOR is derived from the “Lord of the Rings” saga by J.R.R. Tolkien and translates to: “the power of the sun” and “victory.”
- Pictures: World’s largest solar yacht, the Tûranor PlanetSolar (digitaltrends.com)
- PlanetSolar Turanor: The World’s Largest Solar-Powered Boat (techeblog.com)
- Sealander Amphibious Camping Trailer Doubles as Houseboat (techeblog.com)
- PlanetSolar: World’s Largest Solar Powered Electric Boat. Green Designs Will Save the World (worldnewsrecord.wordpress.com)
- Green Column: Around the World on Solar Power Alone (nytimes.com)
- World’s largest solar-powered yacht arrives in Hong Kong on home stretch of around-the-world voyage (digitaltrends.com)
- World tour in a solar powered boat. (izitso.net)
- The fall and rise of the electric boat (ravcasleygera.wordpress.com)
Posted on September 30, 2011, in Solar, Vietnam, Yacht's and tagged Brisbane, Electric motor, Hong Kong, J. R. R. Tolkien, Solar energy, Tûranor PlanetSolar, The Lord of the Rings (1978 film), Vietnam, world’s largest solar-powered boat, Yacht's. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.