Anadarko Finds Hydrocarbons Offshore Sierra Leone
Anadarko’s Jupiter-1 exploration well in Block SL-07B-11 offshore Sierra Leone has encountered hydrocarbons. This has been confirmed by the results of drilling, wireline logs and samples of reservoir fluids.
The well, located over 25 kilometres west of the Mercury-1 well which discovered oil in the block, intersected 30 metres of hydrocarbon pay in the primary Upper Cretaceousobjective and did not encounter a hydrocarbon water contact. The well has been preserved for possible future re-entry, as the area is likely to require additional evaluation.
Jupiter-1 was drilled by the Transocean Discoverer Spirit drillship to a total depth of 6,465 metres in a water depth of 2,199 metres. On completion of operations, the drillship will move 15km northeast to the Mercury-2 well which will target several reservoir levels including extensions of the oil accumulations discovered by the Mercury-1 well.
Anadarko (55%) is Operator of offshore Block SL-07B-11 along with partners Repsol (25%) and Tullow (20%).
Angus McCoss, Exploration Director of Tullow, commented today:
“Jupiter is the third discovery in the Liberian Basin by Tullow and its Partners and provides further support for the stratigraphic play in the region. The presence of a working petroleum system producing gas and light oil in the basin is encouraging. Our technical teams will continue evaluating prospectivity across our significant regional acreage position. We will further test the play through the drilling of Mercury-2 in Sierra Leone and Kosrou-1 which is currently drilling in Côte d’Ivoire.”
- Australia: Total Reiterates Wish to Increase Ichthtys Stake
- Brazil: BMT Acquires Stake in Navcon
- Nigeria: Usan Production Starts Next Month
- UK: Flexlife Awarded ISO/TS 29001 Certification
- U.S., Mexico to Jointly Develop Transboundary Reservoirs
- Australia: Catalyst Provides Growth Capital for Bhagwan Marine Fleet
- UK: Sterling Contracts Rig for South Cladhan Drilling
- Norway: Safe Scandinavia Stays at Valhall Until April 1
- UAE: Former Ocean Rig Man Joins Dragon Oil
- Mozambique: Lagosta-3 Encounters Gas Pay
- Anadarko Strikes More Mozambique Gas (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Dolphin Drilling to Provide Two Drillships for Anadarko’s Mozambique Operations (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Anadarko Makes Substantial Gas Discovery Offshore Mozambique (mb50.wordpress.com)
- Anadarko Reports Successful Itaipu Appraisal, Offshore Brazil (mb50.wordpress.com)
Posted on February 21, 2012, in Africa, Sierra Leone and tagged Africa, Anadarko, Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, discoverer spirit, Finds, Hydrocarbons, Mozambique, News, Offshore, Offshore drilling, Sierra Leone, Tullow. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off.